Rat Race will provide:
- Water safety support in the kayak leg, including safety boats, safety paddlers and pit stops – small aid/ feed stations that we will set-up both on-shore on some of the Northern Keys and from our ‘floating’ boat platforms.
- Vehicle support throughout cycling and running stages, including sweeper service, medical support, mechanic support and pit stop food and beverage provision. (See Food/Accommodation/Transport for more details on the pit stops and other trip catering provisions).
- Satellite tracking and GPS routing device: Rat Race will provide ground-breaking satellite tracking, with units which allow us to see where you are at all times for your safety. It also allows your loved ones and supporters to keep track of your progress, should you wish to share. The device will also be uploaded with a track of the route, for them to follow on the device across all stages.
- Kayaks, buoyancy aids and paddles are provided for those who wish to rent them – check here for the full skinny on utilising one of our boats (or your own) and the skills we expect you to have in undertaking this challenge.
- Bag transfers throughout the trip. Your overnight gear will be transported from the startline to our mid-point transition on Key Largo and then to the finishline at Key West on day 2. We will also transport transition bags to the kayak – bike transition (day 1) and the bike – run transition (day 2).
- Special-edition Race Bib to go over all items of clothing (made from quality, lightweight, wicking fabric).
The participant will provide:
- For kayaking: Your own kayak, flotation aid and paddle OR a rental kayak, buoyancy aid and paddle which you can rent from us. See here for details.
- For cycling: Your own bike, helmet and cycling clothing. Talk to us if you want to rent a bike. Our partners can arrange a rental for you – handy for the logistics if you’re from out of State or overseas.
- For running/ trekking: Your own running footwear or trekking shoes, appropriate clothing and a daypack to carry spare clothes, food, water and emergency supplies.
- Your own footwear, running gear and pack large enough for the self-sufficient.
- A full kit list will be published soon, with detailed information on kit required, weights, dimensions and recommendations, plus all specialist items required. Most of what is required is ‘standard’ running and cycling gear for the warm Keys climate, plus a kayak rental or your own boat.
A mandatory kit list will be circulated to all those taking part.