FOOD, ACCOMMODATION & TRANSPORT
Food and Bev
Provided within the trip costs are:
Meal at overnight Key West
- Including a celebration hot meal for all participants and a complimentary alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage. Further beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are not provided. A vegetarian option will always be provided.
- We will also offer a beer to all finishers at the day one finish in Key Largo with our compliments, for a job well done at the halfway point.
- Where we offer pit stops (both ‘floating’ and land-based pit stops on the kayak leg and land-based pit stops on the cycle and run stages), we will offer savoury and sweet snacks, bananas, sports drinks (carb-based powder for you to add to your water at your own discretion) and water.
- Please note that the provision whilst on the route does not consist of ‘full meals’ and will be more snack-based grab n’ go options, to reflect the journey being undertaken. You are welcome to bring your own foodstuffs and we will transport it with us on the route in your transition bags (these are accessed at transitions only and not pit stops). We would also advise that if you have sports nutrition products that you know work for you, please bring them with you.
- See below for information on gluten-free and vegan provision.
- Complimentary alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink is offered with our compliments at end of day one in Key Largo.
- Complimentary alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink is offered with our compliments at the celebration dinner in Key West.
Participants will cover costs for:
- All meals pre and post Challenge (outwith the times and sates stated above).
- All meals and beverages at the overnight stop in Key Largo.
- All meals and beverages in Key West except those stated above at the celebration dinner.
Gluten-free, vegan or other dietary requirements
Some gluten-free and vegan provision will be made at the pit stops on days 1 and 2; although if you have food intolerances please do ensure you check with us on our provisions as you may need to augment with your own supplies. Please contact us in advance with any specific dietary requirement questions well in advance.
We will ensure a choice of gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options is available for the celebration dinner in Key West.
No accommodation is provided as part of the event format. You will need to arrange suitable accommodation prior to the start in the Miami Metro, or Key Largo area. Our suggestion is Key Largo.
For the overnight after day 1, Key Largo is the place to book lodgings and there is ample selection here, ranging from large hotels to cosy options and self-catering condos. We will have a shuttle available to take people to their accommodation in Key Largo after day 1’s stage.
For Key West, there’s loads to choose from. Our recommendation would be to get close in on the action and try and book somewhere in the Downtown, close to Duval Street.
Provided within the trip costs are:
- Transport of one overnight bag from the start line at Key Biscayne to the mid-point overnight on Key Largo and then onwards to the finish line at Key West.
- Transport of your transition bag from the Startline (which you will drop at registration on the Thursday) to the kayak – bike transition on Day 1.
- Transport of your transition bag from our Key Largo transition (which you will drop with us on the evening of day 1 or the morning of day 2) to the bike – run transition on Day 2.
- Optional transportation options exist (at extra charges) for us to take you and your gear back to the Start after the event has concluded in Key West. See below for prices.
Participants will cover costs for:
- Travel to and from Florida.
- Airport transfers to our event HQ location at Key Largo and return from Key West.
- Onward itineraries from Key West after the conclusion of our itinerary there.
Getting to the Event
The event is HQ’ed at Key Largo, which is around 1 hour south of the Miami Metropolitan area and easily accessed from the Interstate. It is approximately 1h45 minutes drive from Miami International Airport. This is the hub to which you must arrive to pick up your race packet, carry out kayak skills check and is also the location for our kayak refresher, if you want it. You will also drop your bike with us here ,for us to transport to the Day 1 kayak – bike transition.
- Journey time by air to Miami from US North East: 3 hours
- Journey time by air to Miami from US West Coast: 4/5 hours
- Journey time by air to Miami from Europe: 8/10 hours
So what about your bike and gear?
When you arrive, our ‘standard’ logistic service sees us move your bag and bike down the course for you, where required. If renting a kayak, we will also deal with getting that to the start for you and after the kayak leg, you just leave it with us.
If you wish for your supporters to move your gear – whether to the start line (kayaks), to the kayak – bike transition (bike) and then onwards to the finish line from the final bike transition (bike) that is also fine. A handy map here shows the various locations. As you can see, it’s all very accessible from the Highway network with most of our locations situated right alongside or very close to US Highway 1 – the Overseas Highway.
Self-supported or Event-supported?
We recognise that there are a lot of moving parts with such an event. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to access the start and get away from the finish and concentrate on the task in hand, which is a big enough logistic for you to concentrate on! We have therefore put together a few rental options for you to make your life easier and in essence, you can complete this challenge self-supported or fully-supported by us. These rental options can be selected in isolation or all together; or not at all. If you wish to just turn up with a bag, rent everything and be dropped back at the airport afterwards, no problem. It is also possible to self-drive yourself to Registration and drop all your kit off where it needs to go. And supporters are also more than welcome to attend and assist you with these logistics. We have put a menu of transportation and rental options together on this page here. Please note that all charges are in addition to the Event Fee.
OPTIONAL RENTAL AND TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS
Single Kayak, flotation aid and paddle rental $150
Stable plastic boat. Kayak is deposited for you at the Start and collected by us after the kayak leg – no moving of big clunky kayaks for you! Kayak will also be available at Race HQ for personal fitting and familiarisation. Includes sprayskirt, paddle, floatation aid, pump and spare paddle.
Double Kayak, flotation aid x 2 and paddle rental x 2 $250
Stable plastic boat. Kayak is deposited for you at the Start and collected by us after the kayak leg – no moving of big clunky kayaks for you! Kayak will also be available at Race HQ for personal fitting and familiarisation. Includes sprayskirt x 2, paddle x 2, flotation aid x 2 and spare paddle.
Kayak skills refresher session $50
A 2 hr session for you to refresh on paddling technique and sea kayaking drills, including a session on self-rescue.
Bike rental, including helmet, pump, puncture repair kit and tool kit $100
Bike is set up for you at HQ, then deposited for you at the bike transition and collected after the event from the final bike transition on day 2. No moving any bikes for you! Supplied with flat peddles but you may fit your own clip-in peddles if you wish. Our bike rental service includes the in-event services of a bike mechanic.
Marine GPS rental $50
For the kayak leg, loaded with the route track through the Keys.
Transportation from MIA International airport to HQ $50
For you, your bike and your gear (we cannot move kayaks on this service). You can probably find a cab a bit cheaper, but this is a dedicated vehicle big enough to move you and your bike.
Transportation from finish line in Key West to Key Largo, MIA and Miami (Key Biscayne) $100
For you, your bike and your gear – service runs with stops at Key Largo (for you retrieve parked cars, for example); and Miami International Airport plus the Startline at Key Biscayne.